Friday, January 8, 2010

Cold

Many people have said that I am lucky to be posted to kyushu which is known for its warm winters.

Well, it's kinda true that temp has never dipped below 0 but it's still very COLD!

I happen to stay on top of a hill with no obstructions. Basically, it's a mountain range behind me and from my living room, I look down at a valley of houses. So, that also means, the cold wind hits the building 24 hrs a day. Old japanese buildings have no insulation and it is always said that the inside and outside temp are the same. Thus, even when I turn on the air conditioner heater and with my electrical blanket on top of me, I still have to sleep with all winter gear on. Sounds ridiculous but true! If the air is still, I find the weather perfectly bearable. But the strong gusts of wind always kill whatever strength I have in dealing with the wind. =x

In school, going to the toilet is a torture. Haha.. because my school has no heating in the washrooms nor heated toilet seats like some places so it is really cold. In the teachers' room, we have no central heating but heating from a big kerosene heater placed in a corner for every 3 tables. Seriously, I hardly feel it. And whenever cleaning period comes, all the teachers will shiver because we have to open all the windows and switch off the heater for 15 mins to change the air. (for your info, breathing in too much kerosene is bad for health).

Today was also my school's opening ceremony after the winter break and the gym was so cold. I was literally chattering in my seat while holding on to heat packs. I wonder how the students can endure when they are not wearing anything to cover their legs nor hands or neck?!

But I know this is just for a couple of months more before the lovely spring arrives. I will and must endure!

I was excited to see snowfall but the snowfall is not as heavy as places up in the north. Hopefully next month when I visit Sendai and Tokyo, I can have the opportunity to throw some snowballs! =)

0 comments: